The Becoming Center hosted its first healthy dining demonstration yesterday. John Fairchild, Becoming Center Nutritionist, and Gary Sugalski from Sodexo showed us how to prepare healthy pork wasabi tacos, and discussed the nutritional benefits. They also gave general tips for healthier cooking, and everyone enjoyed a delicious lunch! Here is the recipe:
Hoisin Sauce 1 ½ tsp
Rice Wine 1 T
Pork Tenderloin, cubed 2 ½ ounces
Wasabi Powder ¼ tsp
Plain non fat Yogurt 1 T
6” Flour Tortilla 1
Chinese Cabbage, shredded ½ ounce
Carrots , julienne ½ ounce
Cucumbers, peeled, sliced thin ½ ounce
• Combine hoisin sauce and rice wine to marinate cubed pork. Marinate in refrigerator for 2-4 hours.
• Combine wasabi powder and yogurt for sauce. Set aside.
• Coat non-stick pan with cooking spray or canola oil over medium temperature.
• Drain pork, pat dry and add to pan. Saute for 1 minute. Internal heating temperature is 155 degrees.
• Spread sauce on tortilla, top with cabbage.
• Place pork over cabbage and top with the rest of the vegetables.
• Fold or roll tortilla. Enjoy immediately
• Use corn or wheat tortilla (low carb version available)- lightly warm tortilla for ease of rolling
• Can use chicken, tofu, other vegetables or shrimp
• Top with salsa, avocado, tomatoes, cilantro, onions or lettuce
• Wasabi is Japanese horseradish (root) – family of all cabbage and mustard
• Use tenderloin ( leanest cut )
• Greek yogurt is a great substitute for sour cream which is typically used in tacos. High in protein, calcium and B vitamins.
Nutrition Facts: Fat: 4g Sat Fat: 1.5g Carbohydrate: 19g Fiber: 1mg Protein 3 mg
Check out what this Becoming Center member said about the demonstration: By the end of the demo, not only had we enjoyed a well balanced meal, but we had tools to incorporate it into our daily lives and also new shopping and cooking techinques to incorporate as well. It was a hit from the class size, to length of presentation, implementation and finally class participation and tasting.