Think about this – here in the US, the population of adults, ages 65 years and older will more than double from 35 million to 72 million by the year 2030. If so many of us will be living longer, let’s make sure we’re taking care of ourselves, so we can make the most out of our golden years!
The Becoming Center, Liberty’s health and wellness center for older adults in Ambler, has helped hundreds and hundreds of individuals achieve their health and wellness goals over the last 20 years. It’s never too late to stop challenging ourselves to be the best we can be, both inside and out. The Becoming Center uses the philosophy of “seven dimensions of wellness” to help older adults achieve a well-rounded healthy lifestyle.
- Physical Wellness- to maintain a healthy quality of life that allows us to perform normal daily activities, without undue stress or strain, and adopting behaviors that decrease the risk of chronic, preventable diseases. These include maintaining a healthy blood pressure and weight, as well as eating a balanced diet.
- Social Wellness- to relate to and connect with other people in our world, creating and maintaining positive relationships with family, friends and co-workers. Try a new class at the Becoming Center!
- Emotional Wellness- to understand ourselves and cope with life’s challenges and stressors, and being able to acknowledge and share feelings of anger, fear, sadness or stress, as well as, hope, love, and happiness in a productive manner.
- Spiritual Wellness- to establish peace and harmony in our lives and realize a common purpose that binds us together.
- Environmental Wellness- to recognize our own responsibility for the quality of the air, water and land that surrounds us, and to make a positive impact on the quality of our environment.
- Occupational Wellness- to get personal fulfillment from our jobs or our volunteer opportunities, while still maintaining balance in our lives, allowing us to make a positive impact in the world.
- Intellectual Wellness- to open our minds to new ideas and experiences that we can apply to personal decisions, group interaction and community betterment; also the desire to learn new concepts, improve skills and seek challenges.
The Becoming Center staff is here to help you live life to the fullest! No matter how you define each dimension of wellness for your own life, the pursuit of a healthy lifestyle is a journey worth taking.
Click here for more information about the Becoming Center or call 215-643-9908.