Liberty at Home (LAH), a Medicare-certified home health agency that is part of the Liberty family of services, earned 4.5 stars in Home Health Compare, a new Medicare-published rating scale that awards from one to five stars based on quality of patient care.
The upper end of the scale, represented by four stars or above, indicates above average performance when measured against a set of best practices in five key areas: managing daily activities, managing pain and treating symptoms, treating wounds and preventing bed sores, preventing harm, and preventing unplanned hospital care.
Liberty at Home is one of only 27 agencies rated above average among the 132 Medicare-certified home health agencies in Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, and Philadelphia counties. Even more, when compared nationally, LAH exceeds the level of quality provided by 9,000 other Medicare-certified home health agencies across the United States, all of which received only average scores (3 or 3.5 stars).
The rating earned by Liberty at Home was derived from patient assessments conducted by LAH, as well as information culled from hospital and other provider claims. Overall, Liberty at Home beat the state and national averages in preventing repeated hospitalization of patients and earned perfect or nearly perfect ratings in a number of important quality measures:
- How often the home health team treated heart failure
- How often the home health team checked patients for the risk of developing bed sores
- How often the home health team included treatments to prevent bed sores
- How often the home health team checked patients for depression 100%
- How often the home health team checked patients for pain
- How often the home health team took doctor-ordered action to prevent bed sores
- How often the home health team treated their patients’ pain
- How often the home health team began their patients’ care in a timely manner
- How often the home health team taught patients or their family caregivers about their drugs
The Pennsylvania Home Care Association commended LAH’s rating in a formal letter stating, “We at the Pennsylvania Home Care Association commend your ongoing commitment to providing excellent quality care. Your focus on outcomes and patient education, patient needs and open communication has earned your agency a spot in the top 10% of home health agencies in Pennsylvania. Through your hard work and attention to detail, you help keep our seniors at home and in the community and out of the hospital.”
Liberty at Home is a member of the Pennsylvania Home Care Association and accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Healthcare. The services it provides include nursing, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech language therapy, and medical social services. For more information,visit libertyathome.org.