The winter of 2017-18 has been a rollercoaster of extremes in Pennsylvania- drastic cold snaps, ice storms, flooding, snow and even more snow. With February 4th being the midpoint of winter, now is time to make sure you are prepared for the second half of the season.
“Searching for resources during a crisis can add extra stress and take valuable time,” said Julia Menzo, Liberty Lutheran’s director of community outreach. “Even if you didn’t take the time in late fall to prepare your home, car or family for winter, you can still be ready for whatever February and March bring.”
Julia also serves as Coordinator for Lutheran Disaster Response-Eastern PA (LDR-EPA). Tasked with overseeing disaster preparedness and response for Lutherans in 19 counties of eastern Pennsylvania, Julia has culled resources to help you through the second half of this truly unpredictable winter.
- What you need to know about hypothermia: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypothermia/symptoms-causes/syc-20352682
- How to making a family emergency plan: https://www.ready.gov/make-a-plan
- How to winterize your car: https://www.dmv.org/how-to-uides/winterize-car.php
- Winter driving tips: https://exchange.aaa.com/safety/driving-advice/winter-driving-tips/
- Preventing carbon monoxide poisoning at home: https://www.cdc.gov/co/faqs.htm
- Preventing winter fires: https://www.usfa.fema.gov/prevention/outreach/heating.html
- Preventing & treating frozen pipes: http://www.redcross.org/get-help/how-to-prepare-for-emergencies/types-of-emergencies/winter-storm/frozen-pipes
- Shoveling snow the right way: https://www.wikihow.com/Shovel-Snow
For more information, contact Julia Menzo, Coordinator, Lutheran Disaster Response-Eastern PA, at email@example.com or call 215-430-1299.
Learn more about LDR-PA at Libertylutheran.org/disaster-recovery-philadelphia-pa