The Top Workplaces award is based on a comprehensive survey that asked the employees of each participating organization—there were 182 organizations in all—to evaluate how well their organization:
- Aligns with its mission and upholds a culture that promotes collaboration and espouses strong values and ethics
- Operates effectively and remains open to new ideas and different points of view
- Appreciates, communicates to, and inspires employees
- Successfully manages and genuinely cares about employees
Doug Claffey, who leads WorkplaceDynamics, the research firm that administered the survey, explained that the survey measures the strengths of an organization’s culture through the people who know it best. “To be a Top Workplace, organizations must meet our strict standards for organizational health. And who better to ask about work life than the people who live the culture every day—the employees,” he says.
“Time and time again, our research has proven that what’s most important to them is a strong belief in where the organization is headed, how it’s going to get there, and the feeling that everyone is in it together. Without this sense of connection, an organization doesn’t have a shot at being named a Top Workplace,” added Claffey.
Employees from every member of the Liberty family of services participated in the Top Workplaces 2017 survey. Not only did they answer survey questions, but many chose to write in their own comments when asked to describe why they love their job. Here are some of their remarks:
I love my job because:
- I am able to improve and grow in my position and my knowledge base.
- My boss shows me how to learn and grow, and encourages me to better myself. I work with an amazing team and could not ask for better people to work with.
- I get to make a difference in people’s lives.
- I feel like I am appreciated and valued.
- Friendly staff. Caring managers. I believe I make a difference here.
- My colleagues are fabulous and we get to interact with the individuals that we serve.
- I am supported by management and my team members to perform at my best ability. I am given the resources to practice with integrity that best meets my patients’ needs and gives me a sense of pride.
- It is a positive work environment where we strive to grow the business but understand the importance of enjoying your job. We work as a team and support each other in good and bad times so we all achieve success.
- I make a difference in the lives of the residents and have an amazing nursing staff that I get to be a part of.
- I can make a difference in the life of seniors.
- I feel that I am supported and valued for the work that I do. Upper management does care about their employees even when difficult decisions need to be made. Much thought and care goes into the decision-making process.